Monday, November 5, 2012

Astro-Observation Log 2.1 (11.3.12)

Last Saturday night, I went to a stargazing session out in a rather secluded part of the city, and saw more stars in the night sky than I have ever seen in my life. The Milky Way Galaxy was curving above us all, and the teacher used a fancy laser gadget to point out the boundaries of the constellations and other features of space.

Sadly, I forgot the name/type of the exact telescope that was used. But it could be programmed to focus on anything that the teacher specified. Such sights through the telescope included M13 and M57.

There were many satellites that could be seen floating above us. How adorable!

Apparently, there were also many meteors and shooting stars. Yet I, being a true space cadet (ironically in this context), happened to be looking down as they flashed away.

My favorite sight was one I viewed through a pair of binoculars- the twinkling Pleiades. I saw them form various geometric shapes. Or perhaps my hand was just shaky. Taurus be flashy.

No comments:

Post a Comment