Saturday, December 1, 2012

Astro-Observation Log 2.2 (12.1.12)

Today the fall sky seemed to be nearly at its zenith, because as I used my Star Walk application (which I have actually come to depend upon a little too much) the main constellations were those of the fall night sky rather than those of the summer. Stars were especially bright in my backyard, but the moon was obscured. However, a few day ago, I was taken aback by the brightness of the yellow full moon- known by Native Americans as the Beaver Moon.

I had difficulty making out many of the constellations, but on the ecliptic, I managed most successfully in discerning Aquarius. The circlet and lines of Pisces were rather faint, and I barely cut put the stars together for it. Pisces, I learned, however, is one of the more ancient constellations. There was an extremely bright spot in the sky which surprised me because Star Walk made it seem like it was Jupiter, but it was most likely Algol, a huge star in Perseus. Both Andromeda, the princess, and Cassiopeia, the queen, were also quite visible. The planets are... scattered about.

No comments:

Post a Comment